23 risposte a questa discussione

#21 UP844

UP844

Missing in Action

• Administrators
  • 25719 messaggi
  • LocationSulla cattiva strada

Inviato 14 giugno 2017 - 12:04

Richard, yesterday I did not complete the session yesterday (I only arrived at the quarry). Unfortunately, I will be very busy with various work and family chores for the next few days, so I wouldn't be able to spare two and half hours to play it until the end of this week.

As far as I remember (it has been a while since the last time I played the whole session), after you pick the white hoppers at the cement plant you should:

1. bring them to Laramie and stop on a yard track;
  2. decouple from the hoppers;
  3. couple with the caboose located on another nearby track;
  4. couple the caboose to the rear of the hoppers;
  5. push the hopper and the caboose until they couple with the waiting boxcars, then decouple and back a few yards; the steam loco should now couple to the train (boxcars+hoppers+caboose) and depart from Laramie heading west;
  6. now you should be directed to another track where the session ends.

As far as I remember (but I could be wrong, see the above note) you should not have to move any boxcars at this stage of the session. Did you load a game saved at some point during the session?

:ciao:

And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here

UP844 - KUID: 69593 - Author ID: Pendolino - Join Date: Aug 1, 2002
TS2010 build 49933:   morte_benedico

TS12 build 61388 Collectors' Edition #405  :uè2:

T:ANE: no, grazie! (ecco perché)  :impiccato:

TRS19: appena uscirà ufficialmente :mrgreen:

#22 UP844

UP844

Missing in Action

• Administrators
  • 25719 messaggi

Inviato 14 giugno 2017 - 12:29

Richard, I just recovered these notes from the development thread of the "Monolith Cement" session (if you feel lucky with Google Translate, here are 17 pages in Italian).

11.39 - Coupled to the caboose and brown hoppers at the rear of the train just arrived on track #3
11.49 - Brown hoppers delivered on track #4 [+100 points]
11.59 - Locomotives and caboose coupled to the departing boxcars on track 5
12.14 - Boxcars and caboose coupled to the freight train stopped on track #3 [+100 points]
12.18 - Starting to move to the head of the brown hoppers on track #4
12.25 - Locomotives coupled to the head of the brown hoppers on track #4; departure towards the quarry
13.01 - First 10 brown hoppers left on quarry track #1 [+50 points]
13.04 - Second 10 brown hoppers left on quarry track #2 [+50 points]
13.05 - Departure from the quarry with the two GP-9s running light to the cement plant
13.23 - Locomotives coupled to the white hoppers at the cement plant [+100 points]; departure to Laramie
13.34 - Arrival at Laramie: decoupled from the white hoppers on track #6
13.39 - Locomotives coupled to the caboose assigned to the train being assembled on track #6
13.45 - Caboose coupled to the white hoppers on track #6
13.47 - Caboose and white hoppers pushed to couple with boxcars on track #6; departing train assembled; steam loco couples to the train and departs heading west [+100 points]
13.53 - End of session

As you can see, you have to push some boxcars on track #3 in the initial stages of the session (highlighted in red), when you couple them to the train from which you took the brown hoppers that you will have to deliver to the quarry at a later stage. You must not move any boxcar during the final stage of the session.

If you loaded a saved game, it is highly likely some "flag" variable (such as "GP9", which is shown in the HUD) has been resetted when you loaded the game.

Such variables are used to monitor the session progress (e.g. by having an instruction window displayed when you pass over a TM, but only at a specific time). If you are - by way of example - at stage "3" and the variable value is "1" the instruction windows displayed will be the wrong ones and the session will not work properly, as other rules depending on such variables will not trip at the proper time.

#23 richard_spitzer

richard_spitzer

Advanced Member

• Gold Member
  • 32 messaggi

Inviato 14 giugno 2017 - 01:49

Yes, I loaded a saved game. That's probably the reason I got confusing messages. I finished step "13.47 - Caboose and white hoppers pushed to couple with boxcars on track #6; departing train assembled; steam loco couples to the train and departs heading west [+100 points]" and instead of end of session, I got an instruction to go behind junction LAR 59 which is on totally different track etc.

I don't understand why Trainz doesn't remember variable values, but that's the other (and long) story...

In every case thank you for your help and most of all - patience. Please accept my big thanks, I did several sessions for myself so I know how hard work it is. Even if you offer them for another users. I admire your works for U. S. routes. Once time I would like to reach skills you all guys have :) .

#24 UP844

UP844

Missing in Action

• Administrators
  • 25719 messaggi

Inviato 14 giugno 2017 - 03:03

We had many issues with saved games while testing our sessions: perhaps we are pushing Trainz over its limits, however the usefulness of variables used as flags to keep track of the session stage is too useful to avoid using them. By way of example, in the initial stages of the session the player goes several times to the tail track at the western end of the Laramie Yard:

• the first time, he is instructed to couple to the brown hoppers at the rear of the freight train
  • the second time, he is instructed to leave the brown hoppers on track #4
  • the third time, he is instructed to couple to the departing boxcars
  • the fourth time, he is instructed to couple the departing boxcars to the rear of the freight train

All of these messages are triggered when the player train leaves a specific junction (I think it is LAR 12): every time this happens, the rules check the value of the flag variable and show the matching instruction window, with a series of rules arranged as follows:

• Variable Check (checks if the flag variable is =  n)
  • Time-limited HTML Display (shows the nth HTML page)

If the game is saved, however, the flag variable is reset to its initial value so you won't see the nth HTML page, but the first one.

As a consequence, the impossibility to retain variable values in a saved game makes session development an extremely boring process: when we had to check if everything performed OK during the final stage of the session, we have to play two hours before we could check if the session worked as intended (it usually doesn't :(, mostly because of human error, so we have to edit it and to play it again suicide).

This is the chief reason I prefer to make short sessions (no more than 90 minutes long, possibly less than one hour).

0 utente(i) stanno leggendo questa discussione

0 utenti, 0 visitatori, 0 utenti anonimi